Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A day of Hell!

Today was NOT good.  A is out until next Tuesday because her sister in law passed away and B is the acting manager, so we have 2 subs now.   First thing this morning B says to me, are you thinking about taking Monday off?  I said yes I am taking a personal day on Monday.  B says, A says you need to call Jan and asked me if I filled out a form.  I said A said I didnt have to fill out a form because it wasn't before or after a holiday and she was just going to tell Jan that I was taking a personal day.  B then said well I will call Jan for you.  She went in the office and called Jan and when she came back out she said Jan said that in the future she would like you to fill out a form because it helps her know who needs a sub and that A hadn't told her yet that I was taking a personal day.  She also said that there was a possibility that she would not be there Monday if her step mom has surgery so that would mean none of us regular workers would be there.  I responded with, I told Karen last week that I was taking off and she was fine with it so I don't know what they want me to do.  We are going to be out of town and already have tickets to a football game.  So I am sure that they are all upset with me but I have plans and I can't help it that all these other things are happening.  I take one personal day a year and it is usually in September.  I am being damned again.

So the day went on and we prepared the food as usual.  B, myself and the 1st sub did the first batch of spaghetti and the 2nd sub did the fruit for the day.  Then I started boiling more water for the next batch of spaghetti.  B put the garlic bread in the oven and then went into the office.  The garlic bread gets done and the 2nd sub and I bag and tray it while the 1st sub decides to work on fruit for the next day since she is not going to be here tomorrow.  Well that is all fine and dandy but we are not even done with todays food so why is she doing tomorrow's?  She could have checked the noodles to see if they were done but she chose to do grapes instead.  B comes out of the office and checks the noodles and they are done so she does the 2nd batch of spaghetti by herself while we finish the garlic bread and the 1st sub still works on tomorrows fruit.  B said that the 1st sub asked her if that was ok that she started the grapes for tomorrow and she told her yes.  You would think that the 1st sub would have enough common sense to know that when the spaghetti is ready to be scooped that she should stop tomorrows work and help finish todays but no she kept on doing tomorrows work.  All of todays food gets done so I go into the dish room and finish the dirty dishes and putting away the clean ones.  I get just about done and the 1st sub comes in and just sets her dirty dishes on the counter and walks away to go to lunch.  That is not how we do things, we don't leave dishes for someone else to do, we do our own as we take them in there.  I just left them sitting there and finished what I was doing and went to lunch also. 

Serving went good.  We didn't run out of anything so that helped a lot.  For some reason the classes are coming down later and later every day.  Today the final bell had rung and I still had kids coming through my line.  The routine at our school is...whoever is on dishes goes out and helps with tables before doing any dishes once done serving.  The person doing the count will count the food and then go help with tables.  Well the 1st sub is on dishes this week and today she did not go help with tables, she went straight to the dish room.  So I told B that and she said well just let her do dishes and I will help with tables.  I said ok and went on doing the counting of food.  Now keep in mind that my class was late so I didn't get done serving until about 10 minutes later than usual so that put me behind.  Meanwhile, B was out helping the 2nd sub do tables and the milk man was talking to me about some expired milk that was in our walk in, I took care of that problem with him and went out to tell B about it and help with tables and before I could say anything she snapped off with..I'll tell you what, tomorrow everyone will help with tables, just 2 people is ridiculous.  So I grabbed a rag and started helping even though they were almost done.  Then when we were back in the kitchen I told B that I was sorry I didnt get to help more but I had to finish the count and get that done so she wouldn't be left with everything to finish.  She was nicer and said thanks, I appreciate that.  She did have to finish the dish room though because we don't have a break in between shifts anymore since we have 3 extra classes this year to catch up on dishes.  I don't know why they don't ask me to come in and work the hours of the person that is out so B can have some help.  I am going in at 7 in the morning because the 2nd sub would rather come in at 7:30 tomorrow and the 1st sub is coming in at 7 also.  Owell, we will get through this.   I am still trying to figure out what I have done to these people that makes them dislike me so much.  Maybe they would rather pay a sub than pay me overtime.  I don't know but the moral around our kitchen is horribly low.  I will be bidding on another position if they ever post them.  I do not like feeling like shit everyday when I walk in there and when I leave.  If I am as useless as you make me feel then why did you hire me?  Hoping and praying for a better day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment